WHAT IS COPY EDITING?
The process of copy editing is ultimately to ensure a document / manuscript is:
WHAT IS MY JOB AS COPY EDITOR?
In order to make sure the above FIVE Cs are achieved, I will go through your document / manuscript looking at the following aspects:
- Sentence and paragraph length
- Accuracy of any quotes / dates / facts / spellings of names and places
- Make sure the text of the document / manuscript is suitable for the intended audience – for example, are English spellings used when the book is intended for an American audience?
- Content – is it written in the correct order? Is it logical?
- Formatting errors – everything needs to be in the same font throughout, with the headings all uniform
- I will also make suggestions for amendments for text – if a paragraph does not make sense to me, I will provide an example ‘rewrite’, which you can use or discard as you see fit
If you have a manuscript, I am able to make sure that the text is up to the correct standard to send to a publishing house. This includes ensuring the structure is correct, as follows:
- The preliminary matter
- Half title page
- Title page
- The main text (other than the proofreading and copy editing of actual text)
- New chapters to start on the right-hand page (recto)
- Conclusion, epilogue or afterword
- The end matter (where applicable)